You all love Caesar Salad, but have you ever had it in a Sandwich? You’re welcome …
- 1 small head romaine, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 small boneless skinless breast, sliced in half lengthwise, about ½-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
- 4 slices hearty large slices of bread, multigrain, french or sourdough
- 2 whole anchovies, preserved in oil
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- big pinch of coarse salt
- one egg yolk
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½-¾ cup olive oil, depending on desired thickness or thinness
- Heat a grill or grill pan on high. Drizzle the romaine with a healthy glug of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the romaine cut-side down onto the grill. Let the romaine brown and grill for 2-3 minutes. Flip the lettuce over and grill the other side for another 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and reserve.
- Generously season the chicken breast with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil. Place the chicken breast into the grill pan. Grill the chicken on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side, or until fully cooked.
- While the chicken is grilling, make the Caesar dressing. On a cutting board, mince 2 anchovies, 1 clove of garlic, and a generous pinch of salt. Using the back of the knife, press into the minced mixture back and forth to form a paste. Scrape the paste into a bowl.
- To the anchovy mixture, add one egg yolk, the juice of ½ a lemon, and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Whisk the mixture together, then slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuously whisking. The mixture will emulsify and thicken almost immediately. For a thinner dressing add more olive oil.
- Spread the dressing onto two slices of bread. Trim the top and bottom of 1 half of the head of romaine and lay into onto one slice of bread. Top the romaine with half of the chicken. Top the chicken with thinly sliced red onion. Using a vegetable peeler, peel large slices of Parmesan directly onto the chicken. Top with additional anchovies if desired. Place the other slice of bread on top of the cheese and serve.