The classic Thanksgiving casserole gets all Pie and Mighty.
- 1¾ cups raw pecans
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2.5 lbs. sweet potatoes (about 4 medium, 3 large), fully cooked and cooled removed from skin
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- a few gratings of nutmeg (about ¼ teaspoon)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups small marshmallows, or to taste
- To roast the sweet potatoes: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Halve the sweet potatoes lengthwise. Place the sweet potatoes cut-side down and roast for 35-45 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Pulse nuts until they are fine and broken up, but be careful not to overblend the mixture into a paste. Then add the other ingredients into the food processor, pulse a few more times until the mixture forms into a ball. If the mixture feels too wet and doesn’t stick together, add another tablespoon of flour. Transfer the dough to a well greased 9-inch pie dish and form into a pie crust by pressing the mixture down evenly into the dish.
- Scoop the sweet potatoes out of their peels and add them to a large bowl. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or fork. Add melted butter, milk, beaten egg, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and black pepper to the sweet potato. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Transfer the filling into the pie crust.
- Bake for 3o minutes, until bubbly and hot.
- Remove from oven, turn on the broiler. Top the pie with marshmallows and broil in the oven for about 1-2 minutes, or until the marshmallows are nicely browned. Keep an eye on the marshmallows… they can burn easily and quickly.
- Serve immediately!