Everyone loves stuffing – so why not try it as a pie!
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (chicken, turkey, or pork), meat removed from casings 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 large leek, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1?4 cup dried cherries, soaked in hot water for 510 minutes
- 1?4 cup chopped chestnuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1?2 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste (depends on how salty the sausage and stock are)
- 1 cup allpurpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1?2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder 1?2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1?2 stick butter, melted and cooled 3?4 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, add the sausage and the fennel seed. Cook the sausage until browned, about 67 minutes.
- Add the apples, celery, and leek to the sausage, and cook for 45 more minutes, or until the vegetables have softened.
- Transfer the sausage mixture to a bowl, add the soaked dried cherries, chestnuts if using, flour, and chicken stock. Stir until well combined. Transfer the mixture to a pie dish.
- Make the cornbread crust. Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt baking powder, baking soda melted butter, milk, egg, and sage. Stir until just combined.
- Transfer the cornbread batter onto the sausage mixture in the pie tin. Slightly flatten the cornbread with the back of a spoon or using a spatula. Bake in the oven for 4045 minutes, or
- until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when tested. Garnish the top with sage leaves and serve.