Everyone needs their greens on Thanksgiving, so why not get them with this cute take on a ‘pie’.
- 4 cups lacinato kale, chopped
- 1 carrot, shaved (purple if available)
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 small apple, sliced thin into half moons
- ½ cup roasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ a small clove garlic, minced very fine
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine the kale, carrot, shallot, and cranberries.
- In a small bowl, combine the Dijon, lemon juice, garlic, and honey together. Whisk in the olive oil until the dressing comes together and is emulsified. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust according to your liking (more honey if you prefer it sweeter, more dijon for tang and spice, more oil to mellow the flavor, etc.)
- Add the dressing to the kale mixture. Toss together until the leaves are well coated in the dressing. This can be made 1-2 hours in advance, and the salad needs at least 15 minutes to absorb and soften in the dressing before serving.
- Transfer the salad mixture to a pie tin. Alternate slices of apple with slices of pecan to form an outer “crust.” Serve family style in the pie tin.